- YEAR : 0000
- LOCATION : Location
- CATEGORY : Category
- CREATIVE DIRECTOR : Gareth Edwards
Planting & Construction
What have you got, how important is it and what are you going to do with it?
An experienced and qualified gardener, designer, ecologist & garden historian, Gareth offers expert advice and consultancy services; a wealth of experience specialising in design, historic gardens, gardening for wildlife and heritage fruit and orchards.
Expert advice on the management & maintenance of landscapes and gardens. A rare combination of both practical and academic skills spanning nearly 30 years of working in and studying natural and designed landscapes and gardens. An experienced field botanist, a specialist in the history of garden design and many years hands-on experience of the year-round demands of managing and maintaining gardens and landscapes.
Gareth offers a comprehensive garden advice service which can include a simple walk around and chat or a full blown management and maintenance plan.
- a one-off site visit, walk around and discussion.
- site visit & preliminary report
- ZOOM meetings offering general horticultural advice
- Statements of Significance
- Management & Maintenance plan
A typical consultation
- tree & shrub identification, maintenance and restoration
- planting scheme ideas
- design concepts
- planning constraints
- year round maintenance budgeting & routines
- advice on wildlife gardening
- day rate of £360
- half day £180
Based on an hourly rate of £45, a sliding scale of fees is used, determined by the detail and scale of Gareth’s visit and/or report. More advice on consultancy fees can be found on The Gardeners Guild website and their fee guidance for gardeners and consultants: What is the difference between a Gardener and a Garden Consultant?
A few examples of consultancy commissions that Gareth has worked on.
- wildflower meadows: creation, restoration, likelihood of success
- recently moved to garden: species lists and maintenance suggestions (pruning, removal, planting)
- Yew hedges, various enquiries ranging from rodent damage to recent failures to restoration of 100 year old topiary
- weed infestations: how to deal with border or shrubberies infested with perennial weeds
- neglected, overgrown shrubs and shrubberies: restoration of
- orchards: renovation, restoration, creation and maintenance
- budgeting for year round garden maintenance
- planting schemes: right plant right place, establishment, maintenance issues
- design concepts: the house in relation to the garden and landscape – access & connections
- restoration of historic features: both architectural and organic
- statements of significance for the setting of Grade 1 listed buildings
- landscape design in conservation areas